Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippets - Party going with Brother Jim

In the evening of our day of Venetian gambling, brother Jim took us to two parties that were fabulous.  First we went to the top of The Hotel at Mandalay Bay, high above Vegas with all the city spread out around us.  Even the bathroom had glass walls so taking a leak we were looking out at miles of lights.  It was pretty sensational. 
The folks here were very friendly, and I was in a few interesting conversations.  There were some very beautiful women to watch.  It was great.
Waiters came around with chicken on a stick, small bites of sesame seed steak in a dark sauce, small round crackers with smoked salmon and shrimp on a stick.  We could sit at that party, and they would bring the free wine to us.  It was delicious too. 
I sat with a fellow and his wife from Mexico.  As it turned out, she spoke no English, so with his help on my errors, I engaged her around gambling in Spanish, and I was surprised how easy the Spanish came to me.  She liked it because she had been isolated.  I took their photo with the city behind them.  It was a fine visit.  He was part of a union and we did talk about unions and how important they were for us.
Another fellow liked hearing all about all my Vegas deals and coupons.  He was the husband of one of the women who work with Jim, and she was delightful as well.  We talked some of retirement. She is almost ready.
A very pretty woman named Sara and two of her friends talked with Jim for quite a while, and listening in I got a better idea of what it might be like to hear him do business as they were working out some business details. 
Her beautiful face was lit from below by the soft red lights so that in the conversation she was animated and a delight to watch.  Another very pretty woman who works in television journalism joked and talked with us for a long while.   I just had a great time.
From there we went to a second party in the Mix night club. 
That was amazing!
Checking in was very odd.  It did not seem they took our names.  They had to see a photo ID, but my Vegas bus ID was enough, and they did not check my birthdate. 
 The music boomed and one entire large wall and ceiling was a screen that had light displays and sometime windows where people pushed their hands and bodies against the glass as if they were on the other side.  
Other performers danced in costume around the night club or performed bungy jumps from the top of the wall.  One woman came into the center of the dance floor suspended high above the dancers on a ring. She did acrobatics on the ring. 
The dance floor was packed and Elizabeth passed on dancing.  We did not stay long, but it did give me an idea of what a
Vegas night club might look like.  However, the mix of people were older than the usual young clubbers, and not dressed to the nines.

There was no food at the second party, but we could drink.  I had had my three wines by then, but Elizabeth got a second beer.  All free.
We walked into the Red Square bar, but it was not as much the bar of ice that I thought I remembered.  The real Ice Bar was upstairs and cost an entrance fee to experience.  They dressed customers up against the cold.
http://www.mandalaybay.com/entertainment/lounges/minus5-ice-lounge/
We went back to Jim's room and talked until we could not stay awake. 

Another night he took us to a party at the Mob museum, but it was mobbed and not as nice as the other.  Particularly disconcerting was in a room with graphic photographs of bloody bodies there was a fellow carving a roast of beef.  Yuck!!  Really insensitive juxtaposition.
This helped my no meat diet, but did not do much for the party.

Actually, I am probably not a very good audience for the mob museum. 
Why celebrate murderers?  Will we have a Somalian pirate museum soon or how about a museum to celebrate terrorist suicide bombers?

I'd rather see semi-naked show girls myself.  Or see all the Vegas spread out below me while I sip read wine and practice my Spanish.

No comments: