Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet - Visuals

I was too tired to make  a trip to the museum on the Campus.  That and the Bull Fighting would have been fine on the same day, and one other day I got close to going.  But I did not go.  I was sorry to have missed it. 

Elizabeth and I toured a fine gallery in Caesar's with something of Marc Chagall, but I can't remember exactly what.  I like his work
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Chagall

I know nothing about art.  I only know what I like.  As a viewer of art I am total cliché.
And for that reason I don't like much modern or abstract art. 

What really caught my attention here was the Rober Deyber collection of art that develops puns on an old sayings like "Bad Hair Day"  of Doggie Paddle."  These were a good bit of fun.

https://www.google.com/search?q=robert+deyber.com&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7ADFA_enUS467&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RUN9UoHdFM-24AOJxYHYDA&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=447

We could have paid at Caesar's to see Andy Warhol, but this place had the Marilyn Monroe collection in the back.  That was more than enough Warhol for my taste.

I also liked the Picazzo Aquatints.  At least it says so in my notes.  I don't remember these particular pieces on this website appearing at this gallery.  But they give an idea of the work.
http://martinlawrence.com/picasso_frames/picasso2.html

Wandering here was all free.  Free art is my favorite art.

THE AQUARIUM

At Caesar's we also visited the aquarium and watched these fine and unusual fishes swim around the tank.  I like this little aquarium as well as most that I see.  Silverton is interesting, but I really like this one better.

I like fish very much, and especially when they are free.

BELLAGIO

We visited the Fiori de Como blown glass in the lobby of Bellagio and we toured their conservatory.  Maybe I was tired, but it did not move me as it often does.  However, I did note that even in my tired and jaded sense, the blown glass here was much, much better than the piece at Foxwoods that is similar in theme.

http://www.bellagio.com/attractions/fiori-di-como.aspx

I was very excited to show my wife the sculptures that depict art in the lobby just before going into O.
http://www.bellagio.com/shopping/richard-macdonald.aspx

She is very interested in dance and body movement and part of an International group that practices Authentic Movement, a rather abstract sort of movement meditation.  I thought this would be a highlight of the trip.

She did not like it.

After seeing how it was made, she softened a bit. 
After seeing O she softened a bit more, but in her mind his sculpture exaggerated and contorted the looks of bodies and they ceased to be beautiful.
And she may have softened just because she saw how disappointed I was.  I had seen this my last trip to Vegas, and thought about her on my last trip, and was very excited to see it with her.

Now O she loved.
And Zumanity as well, for different reasons.

UGLINESS

The strip is the opposite of artistic.  All of NYNY and Monte Carlo are walled off by those ugly construction metal and wood monstrosities that allow just a tunnel for walkers.  Bill's looked like it had suffered a bomb attack and I understand that those who stayed that week in Flamingo learned what real noise might be and learned it before breakfast.
I've really had it with the strip. It just never seems to be finished.  Eternal rebuilding is part of some section of the strip.
I know there will continue to be renovation downtown as well.  Plans are to make huge improvements around the new Grand and create a neighborhood that appeals the way East Fremont was created out of that haven for the street people. 
But somehow it is not quite as intrusive.

My last trip I went from downtown to the Orleans and struggled to get my luggage over the bridge and around MGM to catch the 201 to the Orleans.  The corner was closed to pedestrians. 
The corner for walking was open this trip, but there still was construction there and for quite a section going North.

We saw the Bellagio fountains and those were fine. I liked them again. 
I liked the night view of Excalibur from the 201 bus stop. 
I liked some of the sights at night with the lights and these fine glasses I have that sharpen my vision. 
But I'm too old for all this construction and it offends my senses.

I liked the view of Vegas from afar like that view from on top of Mandalay Bay at one of the parties Jim took us too.  That still held romance. It was amazing and with a little red wine it was even more amazing.  Wine has always enhanced my sense of night and lights.  I remember as a young man with a very old hand held camera, taking a time exposed photo of the lights over Toledo from a stone staircase.  I remember it perfectly. 

Mostly strip views did not satisfy this trip.  Don't fret Vegas, it's not you, it's me.  I'm old and I want you finished and unchanging.



 

No comments: