Sunday, November 24, 2013

So I'm not drinking much anymore

and neither are many of those old folks on the Vegas discussion boards.
How should we think about that?

Well, here is one of my recent reflections on that:

Perrier did it for me.
I always counted on $40 a day of alcohol to add value to my long hours of limit poker.
Then the diabetes.
I can't do many virgin drinks either, and the NA beer has too many carbs.
I can have a bit of wine which in moderation lowers the blood sugar, but most of the wine most places is pretty bottom shelf.
I've tried the trick of ordering pinot noir suggested by a wine guy on one board, but most places don't have it.
And I do have an occasional virgin bloody Mary. With five olives that makes a meal.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45231119/#.UpHrtSMo7Jo
But I really got into Perrier with lime, especially in the joints that serve the large bottles.
I had about ten on one of my trips and a woman across the poker table (who must have thought they were alcoholic) said to me in that critical judgmental way common to uptight women addicted to mothering, "You sure are scarfing those down."
I got a kick out it.
I missed a good comeback, because I was initially so puzzled.
Next time I'm going to say, "Yeah lady, my one goal in life is to outlive my liver and Perrier brings eternal peace."

As for the absence of degeneracy. I find I can still be a degenerate, but without alcohol, I can remember the experience.

I am thinking of developing a table image of the late night drunk. I think I can do it if, after six hours of refreshing sleep, I arrive at the table at 2 AM for the Golden Nugget doubling of bonus awards, and, after awkwardly working my arthritic right leg around and in front of the chair, I complain of being so drunk I feel barely able see the cards, and then wonder out loud if I can get enough Perrier into me to sober me up.
It is true that I can barely see the cards.

1 comment:

Hardware said...

I got a laugh out of this. Thanks buddy!