Sunday, November 10, 2013

OCTOBER 2013 TRIP INTRODUCTION

This was an unusual trip for me.  I am a frugal traveler and when I go to Vegas the room is less important than my ability to stay for 20 or more days. 
This trip my wife was coming along for a week and for four days we were having a fine meetup with her rarely seen brother and his wife from California.

So the first week of the trip was to be much more upscale:
  • Rooms that stressed comfort
  • Cabs not buses
  • Visiting more than gambling
  • Upscale restaurants rather than cheap buffets
  • Visits to some parties Elizabeth's brother attends as part of his work.
The last 12 days of the visit I was solo and frugal again.  In fact, I spent just $149 for my hotel rooms those 12 nights, much less than one night at the Trump Tower, and instead of $45 entrees, I picked my way through veggies and fruit and eggs and soup at buffets that both met my diet needs.  The buffets I supplemented with Walgreen's mixed nuts and fruit in the room.  This allowed me to eat well for about $13 a day.
I saw O and Zumanity with my wife for free on MyVegas, and then I saw 7 more shows solo for total cash of $57.

I came home with $450 profit, and I calculate that except for tips I spent under $250, and my split of the Orleans rooms with Elizabeth was $105, and my bus transportation cost just $18, so even adding in tips, it was a free trip this time.  My wife picked up most of the expenses of the upscale week and her brother picked up the cabs and would have done more if we had let him.  He is a generous fellow.  My air was free on my Southwest charge card. 

To follow my experiences and thoughts look for "TR Snippet" introducing a topic. 

No comments: