Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet Meetups

Meeting up with board friends is not an easy task for me.  Although I go for long periods of time, I go for a slow and unscheduled pace and I like to be away from schedules.

My sleeping is an issue. I never know when I can sleep and when I can’t.  Vegas is grand for that lifestyle.  I can always look for a poker game or an early morning VP session.  Shows alone seem hard to keep in focus.  I have to concentrate on check out days and often get them confused.  At the beginning of this trip I was totally confused on time.

I can also just take a day and do nothing but sleep.  My pace it like that.  Whenever I can sleep, I sleep and am pleased with the privilege.

 

At home when I am awake at odd hours, I write on discussion boards.  The boards are here when I am fresh and awake at whatever hour.  When I write I have time to consider, to edit, to check the elusive details.

In Vegas I am often over tired.  Sometimes in conversation I can’t remember words or details of anything I’d like to say. 

Lack of sleep retards my functions.

 Lately I have been drinking almost no alcohol so I don’t lose whole days as I once did, but I am still too tired too often.

Then too I like the solo experience in Vegas, like the serendipitous meetings with strangers from all over the world at poker games, on buses, at bus stops.  I played poker with people from Nicaraqua, Eskimos from Alaska, guys from  Australia, Great Briton, Canada, Portugal.  I used my limited Spanish to help the Portuguese fellow understand the difference between limit and no limit and to engage the wife of a fellow I met at a party.

I missed meetups with my Vegas relatives this trip.  We just did not connect.

I did manage a great morning with my old locker mate from Kensington High School who now lives in Vegas.  Bob and I discussed the old days but also had good debate on politics, taxation, and Vegas in general.  He and his wife moved here a few years ago but found they did not like it.  They are going to Pennsylvania next.

Also I saw Mike (handle: hardware) who keeps in touch on my blogs arranged a meetup and video poker morning at the D after which he was kind enough to drive me out to Sam's Town.
He is a good bit younger than I am, but seems to like my writing and company.  He has plenty of interesting things to say and the time went quickly as we played a bit of VP.  It was one of my worst VP sessions. I lost nearly $100, but  I think he did well and the bartenders kept the drinks coming.  His were real.


Blonde's Board held a great meetup called Garboyle at Hennesy's downtown.  I was scheduled to make the whole meet, but they moved my Jeff Civillico show from 2 to 4 PM, and I had to rush back from the strip for just the tail end of the meetup.  Still, I met many of the folks I see on line and had some good discussion. Included were:
Kiddo, Kobi Dog, Blonde, NMChop, Eva from Germany and her husband Wolfgang, Trawna Jack, Royal Flusher, a number of people were very kind about my writing and who I remember reading often on that board. 
Nice.
It was a nice room at Hennesy's,  quiet and easy for talking.  Bonnie was in her million dollar lei outfit.  This was just brilliant!  She got a good bit of attention on the street as well.

 

No comments: