Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet - Music

MUSIC AT POOLS AND BUFFETS

Okay, I'm old.  67.  And my music tastes are older.  I'd prefer Jazz from the 20's, 30's, 40's  like that featured on WGBH Jazz Decades where Ray Smith gives a great commentary on music or swing.  Or I'd like the music and soft jazz so popular now on John Pizzarelli's Radio Deluxe.
But I am also pretty eclectic and enjoy all sorts of sounds, providing there is variety and it is not so loud that listening is painful and talking impossible.
Were I arranging music for these places I'd create a varied menu of music from all over the world. Everything would not be radio rock and there would be many fewer songs sung with a nasal whine and going  "oh, oh, oh."
 
In the smaller pools were I swim and places where I dine, I'd make the music basically background and go for mellow over ear splitting.  Id' include some boleros, some blues, some jazz, some Nina Simone or Billie Holliday, some Ella and Satchmo.  How about  New Brazil.  Soft soul. Jack Teagarden.  Easy Willie Nelson.  Lyle Lovette's   If I Had a Boat.  It'd toss in a Mills Brothers and the Rat Pack would be represented. 
I'd try to do what Pizzarelli does, get songs that had some following but were done in unusual vocal style.  I'd include a bit of Louisiana Cajun and perhaps a folky Phil Ochs or perhaps Judy Collins.   Simon and Garfunkle would be there or at least Simon by himself.  The Beatles would pop in.
In Vegas I'd take a look at the popular shows that feature music and use songs from each.  Bee Gees could be there with the Beatles and the Rat Pack and whatever the Scintas were singing.
I'd skip opera but some classical bit might be a nice break, perhaps Rap and Classical in the same song.   Flamingo guitar would be included.  A dulcimer piece.  A piano bit.  James Taylor or Carly Simon or Carole King.
I experiences swimming to classical at Turning Stone pool. 
Generally, I don't listen to much classical and then only like the mellow and nothing too dramatic, but I found it just great for getting in the mindless zone while swimming.
Aria's buffet approached some of that.  It was all rock and too loud, but they did have cuts from all over the world so I heard some in Spanish, some in Portuguese. 
Eastside Cannery was just fine.  There were old chestnuts like Buddy Holly.
The D Vue Bar were old favorites on a great Boze system.
At least I'd not buy some loud radio track of whinning, nasal, lyric obscure music.

No comments: