Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet Dewey goes upscale

Most of you know I travel extremely frugal on my solo trips to Vegas.  However, travel with my wife is just the reverse.   For gambling, she does not like more than just a small taste of penny slots in a quiet venue.  She is not a great fan of buffets.  She likes upscale hotels because the room is a big part of the trip for her, in Vegas or other venues.
She comes perhaps once in five years for part of my 20 plus day trips.  Generally, when she is with me I don't gamble much, and we concentrate on shows and good restaurants.  We have separate money, and she treats for the expensive stuff, so actually I get a really great deal.  For the same airfare I get a week of fun with her and then a couple weeks on my own or with other gambling friends or Vegas local relatives or folks from discussion boards and this trip I spent time my old high school locker mate who I've seen just three times since 1963 when we graduated. 
This trip Elizabeth and I  met up with my wife's brother and his wife who also love the luxury end of life.  He treats often and easily, and that is fine as well, but I would not want a reputation as a freeloader, so we have to negotiate.   They do drink more than we do.  I am cut way back since my diabetes to just red wine and rarely do I want to pay restaurant prices for that.  Jim has a summer place in Heldsberg CA so he knows good wine.

So, my first week was upscale this trip.  And then I had 12 days of fugal solo.  It was ideal really.  I'd love to do it again.


*************************************************
 

1 comment:

Deann said...

Hi, Dewey! You know it's all about your traveling companions. When I'm with my mom, we have our places to stay in Vegas (usually Harrah's). When Hayley is along, we stay somewhere new. When I'm alone, I hope and pray for a freebie or discounted room from a place I haven't tried yet. I'm glad you and your wife enjoy Vegas together, but also enjoy it in your own ways.