Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snipper - Life is Beautiful Festival

This even sure made me feel old.  All the music was unknown to me.
Diabetes food restrictions make the gourmet food choices an impossible adventure.
So I did not pay $100 plus for an armband just to get on the property.
Most of the festival goers seemed college aged.  I'd like very much to be them again, but here I am and old, fat, psoriasis scarred remnant of a man.
"Sir," they would call me.

Fremont was not closed.  I worried about going from El Cortez to Four Queens and rolling luggage along closed streets.  I worried into the night, sleepless at the El Cortez Cabana. I called the Four Queens and that made it worse.  So rarely do I get anything bad at the Four Queens, but this woman just raised my anxiety with her ignorance and her insistence that it was insane to think about rolling my luggage between the Cabana rooms and the Four Queens, much to long a journey.
What was she thinking?  I never told her my age.
She said the the Festival had not informed the hotels of what streets were closed.
Well, that turned out to be a lie.
And it was 2 AM.  I did not want to go to the El Cortez cabana clerk.  I should have.  They had a fine map that showed all the closures and she assured me that I'd not have to walk far to find a road over to the unclosed Fremont Street.

The biggest problem with the Festival for those of us too old to enjoy it was that no one had many answers. 
Bus stops were moved, and the drivers did not seem to know much more than I did.  I guess I need a phone app, but so far I have not given in to getting a smart phone.  I think I will before my next trip. 

I was lucky to book the Four Queens over the weekend with comped rooms.   Room rates were very high. 
Also parking was expensive everywhere.  One dealer at the Golden Nugget told us that she pays $69 a month for parking, but she had to pay $20 extra for one day. 
It surprises me that folks would not just park at the BTC and take one of the buses in and out of downtown. 
 
The El Cortez closed their poker room and all of their entrances except one.  That news raised my anxiety too.

I figured that the inability to find cheap parking  might keep locals out of the GN poker room, and it did seem to do that to some extent.  I was unlucky in cards, but the pots were huge for those with good flops. 
I played until after midnight and got the $10 voucher for breakfast at the Nugget. 

I stayed in the downtown area that weekend because I thought the buses might be packed, but perhaps they were not. 
For the BHX one morning I walked up to the stop near the old Western on 8th and Fremont, but that was closed, so I had to walk up to Maryland. 
I don't much like that neighborhood.  I did not want to do that coming back, and thought I'd just ride the BTC and catch another bus there, but the BHX dropped me downtown near Fremont.

I suggest that if you are asking where to get off on your way to the El Cortez, you ask where to get off close to the Fremont Experience rather than close to the El Cortez.  Near Fremont the neighborhood is fine.  It may be a longer walk to the El Cortez, but it won't raise the hackles of your streetsmart hairs.

I met two women participants in the festival over the week at the poker tables.  Both thought it was fun.  I also watched a girl from Scotland who came for the festival and to meet friends.  Three girls were a great entertainment on the bus and had I such company for the festival, I'd have gone. That story is here: 
http://vegasbirthdaybash.blogspot.com/2013/11/tr-snippet-riding-bus.html 

At my age I need a young guide to such events. 
Still the food would have been too tempting.

I guess having such a festival is a great idea for the downtown.  But for me, it was pretty much all an annoyance.  Man, I sure am old.

No comments: