Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet - Discussing Mark Twain at the Venetian

While I tossed away and folded hand after hand, an old local and I discussed American literature:  Steinbeck, Joyce Carol Oates, Twain, London, Steven King, Poe.  It wasn't a detailed discussion with critical depth, but he had read most of the books.  He presented the idea that Twain is banned from some school libraries.  I told him that for 20 years I taught Twain in the inner city to my honors classes and they ate it up. 
But again perhaps times are different now.  We certainly had long discussions of racism inn those classes, and the idea that audience changes over time.  I also had great backup material especially one video that describe Jim as the first multi-dimentional Black character in American literature. 
No  student was ever forced into reading anything in my classes that offended them, but no student ever objected to Twain.  I could always offer substitutes and alternative assignments, but my Black students knew my love and respect for Black literature and they loved the freedom to argue that Twain was a racist.  Few argued very long.
Huck of course is the character they can best identify with.  He could have come from their neighborhood.
And they did get that great irony when Huck is guilty about not turning Jim because of the way he has been raised in a racist society.  That single part of the novel is perhaps the best way I know to teach irony and to point out that sometimes an author has a character purposely be oblivious to the truth that the author  wants the reader to understand.  Similar is Scout's descriptions in To Kill a Mockingbird.

 Well, it distracted me from a game in which I could only play the best cards in best position. 

No comments: