Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet Buses and cabs

The upscale week of my trip was all with cabs.  I learned that it is under $10 before tip  to get from the Orleans to the Aria.  That seemed really reasonable and it was very quick.  In some cases, especially when four people are involved, cabs are cheaper than buses. 

Elizabeth and I cabbed from the airport to the Orleans.  It was more than I expected.  About $24 with tip.  I remembered to ask for no tunnel, but the fellow did drive leisurely and the lights along Tropicana were all red.  He was milking us.
This confirms my bus intentions for solo.  It would have cost me two dollars by bus, but at least a half hour and perhaps an hour more in travel time. And Elizabeth is not riding the buses.

BHX

I never took the ride I planned on the HDX to Sunset Station or Fiesta Henderson.  Perhaps I'll do it next time.  One bus driver told me that I should just get the HDX at the BTC, but I am unsure whether he meant just during the Life is Beautiful or always..

I've decided that the best advice to give tourists is to have them go to the BTC for either of these buses simply because it is simple and unlikely to be changed.  In front of Binions () or perhaps I would say on the side) is a bus stop that serves the SDX, the WAX, theCX and the  DVX and each of these buses goes to the BTC fairly quickly.  Be careful to get off at the BTC as overshooting with some will put you a long way from where you want to be.
Then at the BTC the bay for the BHX is just inside the wall and there is shade to be found and seats and even a bathroom if you have time.  So even though it backtracks the path of the bus, it may just be the most practical and easy to go up Boulder.
Sam's Town has a free shuttle as well.  I have not taken it and did not have times written down.
If you don't mind the old Western neighborhood and are up at the El Cortez, then you can walk up  to catch the BHX there and save some time, but sometimes your bus stop companions may be a bit seedy. 
Going to the BTC puts you out of any bus stop issues.  You will find seedy characters on the bus, but there is an accessible driver now and for one of my trips there was a security guard so less difficulties for those of you uncomfortable with the lower middle class folks.

USING THE WAX ON THE WEEKENDS

I used the WAX from this same Binions spot on the weekends to offset the strip traffic.  It comes every hour, but was predictable with one glance at the schedule posted at the stop.  the times I was going the bus came 26 minutes after the hour so that was very easy.  It is a simple ride to Tropicana.

They will not tell you that at the stop.  The RTC guides posted at the Binions stop particularly stress that the bus goes to the airport and not to the strip.  I said as I boarded that that seemed untrue, and the bus driver first said that he had worked that corner and that to say it would be a strip bus for some opened it up to a million questions.  Then he said that the bus company wanted to keep that WAX from getting overcrowded so there was always room for passengers and their luggage.  On Friday and Saturday nights It was a real advantage to take the WAX and just walk from Tropicana to where ever I wanted to go.  It is a shame the bus company can't find a way to explain that to people.  What if they just asked to see folks going to Tropicana, MGM, Monte Carlo just a few minutes before the bus arrived?

I was surprised that the nights I took the Deuce home from the Venetian there was no real crowd.  Once meeting Wild Bill after going to the Orleans and catching the SDX just North of MGM I was not allowed entry on the first and fullest bus, but another came just a few minutes afterwards and it was not crowded.  Bumper to bumper traffic made it a long journey to the Riviera but it was not so bad.  I had  a seat.

No comments: