Sunday, November 10, 2013

TR Snippet- The Mentalist

I am sure this was a free groupon.  I can't remember if there was a fee, but that makes the show about $10.
compare Groupon to Living Social to Gold Star on fees.
I liked the show, but it was not hard to figure out the way the "magic" was conducted.  He seemed to be reading minds by touching cards we filled out preshow, but actually that was the material he used.  I was in line afterward with the main couple he had engaged in mind reading and all of the information he used they had put on the card.  At first she had not stood up.  Another person with her initials had stood.  He combined information from both her and her husband, but it was all on the card. 
The nailgun trick does make me cringe.  Surely some night the fellow will in some way make a mistake.  Still, I knew that he had a way of knowing which gun had bullet nails and which did not.  The audience member picked "left" from two choices and he picked up the gun that was "left" for the audience, but "right" for her.  Clearly he would pick that gun whatever she said.  I had seen a similar bit on Mike Hammer.
The ball trick where numbers appear on a card in an enclosed envelop is clearly slight of hand with the numbers written and faced where they could be copied.  The guy who had his pin number read seemed like a plant to me, especially when he said, "Ladies and gentlemen, this man is amazing, he is absolutely right."
But it was entertainly just the same and well worth the small amount I paid for a ticket.

No comments: