Monday, December 14, 2015

TR SNIPPET LAUGHLIN ADVENTURES


My Vegas inspired this road trip. I managed two free nights at Red Rock, so I needed to rent a car. The most value I could get was renting for a week, so I tossed in three cheap nights at Laughlin ($83) which would open up visits to Oatman and Hoover Dam.



Laughlin is old people. Well, I'm old.

It also can be folks who have chosen independence in their later years, chosen to live in small RV's for much of the winter in Laughlin and somewhere else in summer.

I now migrate, so talking about how we manage that is very interesting and useful and not at all like recounting the last 12 surgeries.



I like the driving here. Although I left from Red Rock and had a good bit of highway to travel, it was not confusing highway, and the last half of the trip was deserted of any traffic and just a long ride through flat dessert.

Parking was always near where I wanted to go, and it was outside where it is easy for me to remember where I parked.

I like it that I could play poker at Harrah's and have an easy and predictable drive at the last minute to Riverside for the Lettermen concert. It is so much different than having to get from one place on the strip to another.

I lived the Watchman store, but it is run now with different folks and watches are not all $20 and less. I bought a waterproof Swanson for $30. This is probably more than I might pay on line, but I wanted a watch I can go swimming with. Now I see this one is just water resistant, so perhaps I got taken. The clerk did not explain the difference.

Either way I like the watch and later when I swam with it at the Orleans, it held up fine. I breast stroke when I swim, so the watch would be continually underwater but never deep enough for pressure.



I decided to stay at Pioneer. Here is that review




I went to the movies (senior $7.50 and refillable popcorn $7.50) to see The Intern. I loved it.

I also saw the Lettermen ($30) and that was such a fine show. One original singer, Tony, was still singing. The others recreated the harmonic sounds and it all was really wonderful. Tony was very personable and engaging. He came down and shook hands. He offered to have photos taken on the stage with people as they sang. The other two did newer songs to promote their own albums. Those were fine, but did not excite me. In between songs were black and white clips from the old days. I especially liked that they had snipped together all the old clips of introductions and funny skit with Jack Benny.

An hour and a half with no breaks. Just perfect.

No comments: