Monday, December 14, 2015

TR SNIPPET CLAUDINE CASTRO SHOW AT THE EASTSIDE CANNERY


I was a bit worried that all the shouting of maids would preclude my getting enough sleep in the day to do the full concert comfortably at the Eastside Cannery.

However, I managed very well.

Staying downtown I get to hear a full four hours of music, from 10 to 2. When I stay at the Gold Coast, the last 202 bus is at 1 AM, but there is a BHX heading downtown at 2:20 AM



The stop going out for the BHX seems fairly established on Ogden just in front of the circle for the Grand. However, one of the fellows waiting said that sometimes on Fridays they don't stop there, but just pass by. I could always get it at the larger and more lighted stop just North of the Container Park, right on Fremont near where there once was the Western. However, that area can be a bit seedy. And I can always catch one of the buses leaving the Binion's stop, go to the BTC and then get the BHX there, but it adds perhaps 20 minutes to the journey.

This night the bus was on time. It was a fairly easy trip, much less crowded than during the day, with fewer stops along the way. It stops right across from Eastside Cannery. I stopped to replenish my cash at the Bank of America drive through.

I was early and took my favorite seat at a table right in front with good views of Claudine and of the dancers. Both are very entertaining. As the place filled up, I looked for people who wanted seats and filled two of the three other seats with a couple women. The easiest way to do that is to catch the waitress and let her know. She then finds someone.

One of these woman was very chubby but with a pleasant face. The other was more attractive, but fairly plain. She had on a wonderful pancho-like piece that was a plain color but quite attractively stitched with patterns and finished with some frilly hangings. I liked her.

These women were friendly and polite but not as forthcoming and inclusive as other folks on my other visits. They mostly kept conversation to themselves, and the woman across the table who spoke no English was quiet spoken, so I could not practice listening to the Spanish.

They danced with no twirls together and no one suggested I join them. They just had small foot movements. Nothing intricate. It was their first time at this lounge act. The heavier woman said that she preferred newer music. They were perhaps in their 40's.



Using the new cream on my feet for the trip I did not show up with blisters this time, but I did not dance much. I just got up for the group dances. I am shy to ask because my salsa is so poor, especially the intricate turning, spinning and such that is so much a part of the dancing here.

There was an older woman all in blue who danced repeatedly by herself and then cheered me on in the group dances, but she disappeared. I thought I could dance with her without all the twirling.

There was a much older and delightful small woman all in black and with a jeweled cross. She made only small foot movements.



It was a great concert. Included were songs I've heard a number of times. CHECK INTERNET FOR LYRICS

In the taped music there was one with “Dinero, Dinero” and Corrazon partia ida.

  • Aye Aye Asi es La Vida
  • Ven Ven Perlito so yo
  • Otra quiere mas que siempre. Otra quiere mas que luna
    cabeza in this one and va va
  • lo siete mucho pero ya no
  • quanto mes Havana Miami felicidates
  • su madre venta se

I wish I knew more of these songs, especially the ones I hear each time.



Many of the regulars were there. The man who dances often and well led a number of partners, including the Asian woman with hair down below her waist. Somehow I think that he is an instructor. He uses a series of intricate twists and twirls, but does not turn much himself. He is very adroit.

Claudine was wearing an outfit I have not seen before. It was a black wrapped piece with long patterns and she had one section tied at the top of her left leg. Very sexy.

My philosopher friend Seigfried was not there. The small wiry Cuban with the odd face and beret was there. He is there every time.

Two birthday tables were set up with cake and balloons. Two other people were having a birthday and Claudine sang to each of them.

So, it was a fine night out. Three Merlot with $5 including tip. A cheap four hours.



The second time I went I was more tired and hungry.



The buffet closes at 8, so I decided to try Snaps. They had a fried seafood special that included a piece of cod, two pieces of catfish, two large butterfly shrimp and deep fried clams. It came with cole slaw and french fries cut large and some with a small remnant of skin.

Everything tasted great. However, I had forgotten my second Metaformin pill and even with all the walking and a glass of Merlot in the lounge, it spiked my sugar.



I positioned myself in the same spot, but the big old “gringo” as he called himself was at the table behind me speaking English. That grated with the immersion. Being tired I could not focus. My mind wanted to process the language that came easiest. It was the same thing sort of phenomena that had me escaping other tourists in Costa Rica.

Then it got fairly crowded and I was just not up to being social. I could barely stay awake. I also dreaded two stretches of buses in the bitter cold.

It was a good decision.

On the way back I sat upstairs in the front seat. I enjoy the ride when I do that. I had not seen the Bellagio Conservatory and thought that this cold late night would be a good chance to see it uncrowded and take some photos. I was right.

PHOTO

However, the walk back from Las Vegas Blvd. was as a long cold one. So, I went to the tram, took it to Monte Carlo and walked to Excalibur from there, avoiding waiting for the bus at all.




No comments: