Monday, December 14, 2015

TR SNIPPET EXCALIBUR


Two migraines and some other issues including diarrhea and too much to drink were bothersome as I moved from the Fremont to Excalibur. I had little sleep the night before and was a little drunk and pretty dysfunctional. Luckily, I managed the check out and managed the WAX bus.

Then I worried I left my phone in the room and went back to find the room open and no maid about to ask. I was so tired I fell asleep and needed to be routed out by a rather annoyed security guy.



It was good planning to be going to Excalibur. I was very tired. Even the luggage roll from the WAX stop was a chore. I managed the check in, but I ended up with a smoking room. They would have moved me the next day, but I was unpacked, and I thought it would not bother me. I was raised with smokers and grew up with no “nonsmoking” rooms. For two and a half years in Spain smoke was everywhere, and it was a strong Turkish tobacco they smoked then.

However, next time I'll move. I noticed it more than I thought, especially in the hall.



After the very, very, very tiny room at Fremont, I enjoyed the space of the Excalibur room. There was a fine large table, two comfortable throne like chairs, a couch, and a small coffee table.

I found those throne chairs some of the most comfortable chairs I had ever used. They are wide and accommodate all of me easily with room left over. A cup of tea can set on the flat arms when I watch television. It is the best part of the room.

I also liked the large light above the table that turned on with the old fashioned pull chain, a wonderful convenience in the dark.

The television had many more channels than the other places I stayed. No TCM however.



The worst part is that once again they have neglected the art. There was one print of jousters and it is very delightful. There was another with a princess getting attention from a knight. This one is in the bathroom. The rest of the walls were bare of anything. There is plenty of wall space here for more art.



Also, the curtains are flimsy. However, they do seem to keep out the light well enough, and I always carry some cheap clips to hold the curtain fully together .



I slept well almost every time I tried. Naps worked just great.

I should add, however, that I have begun adding small eye covers that I use on the plane to my sleep apnea mask for nightly sleep, and I am finding that unlike my last experiments, this eye mask can be made to fit well enough and not impede the air flow of the sleep apnea machine. I had such good luck with it that I'll try it at home.



I had no view from my second floor room although there was a part of the shuttle track with an occasional passing shuttle and that view reminded me of the rooms folks had in old black and white movies. There were some folks walking by and some cars.

I have to say that most of the time I'm happy to trade a fast elevator ride for view, and I felt that way this time.

And after all that inescapable noise downtown called music, I was delighted that no loud cacaphony of rock sounds will greet me at any time and finding more rest here.

I could not hear the trams at all. The hallway and other rooms were quiet. I could not hear a television in other rooms. The only sound at night is of the air exchange units outside the window. I turned mine off at night, but because I am only on the second floor, I can hear the outdoor fans. Generally, that acted as white noise. But perhaps if I stay here again, I'll ask for a higher room.

I also heard my neighbors fight one morning, but I was already awake. They had Easter European accents. The fellow walked out after announcing that he wanted to go make some more money.

Television too was much more satisfying. I am fairly sure that in the other places PBS was not on the list of stations.



My second night I watched a great James Taylor concert from San Antonio and then an episode of Doc Martin. I was having trouble sleeping and those were great diversions. Good screen image too. The Taylor was especially good. Although many of the songs were old chestnuts, his delivery was new and different. “I'm a Steam Roller, Baby” ?? brought out an amazing and new blues voice that played with the sounds of the words as well as great jazz from the back up band. He sang a duet with an Austin woman that was great too.



It was a good plan for me to buy these rooms at this stage of my trip. They were a hedge against a trip where my bankroll might be depleted, so gambling was an option rather than a required activity for seeding next year's rooms.

Also, I had a family Thanksgiving in Denver directly following Vegas so I needed a slow pace toward the end of my trip.

Finally, I wanted some strip experience without buses, especially some shows with less travel back to the room. One night was spoiled by the marathon blocking the strip and access to the East.

However, my last night for $60 I bought tickets to Rich Little and to the Laugh Factory comedy show. These were back to back. Little started at 7 PM and I just exited, went to the bathroom and stood a few minutes in line for the regular three comedians. I did not have VIP tickets, but this theater is small and almost all seats are good. I was in the center both times. What a contrast to the V Theater for the Hitzville show.

At the end of the show it was an easy walk back to my bed.

LINK

I bought the ticket at the Half Priced store on the strip.

I went for a delicious and wonderful free My Vegas lunch at Aria, crossed the street, and bought the tickets, came back for a good nap, and then just walked across to Tropicana. It was a perfectly planned day.

On the way out of the Aria Buffet I wandered in the galleries right outside Aria.

LINK



My last two nights were free at the Orleans and did require some gambling if I were to maintain the mailings. Excalibur and the break from gambling let me be sure not to be uncomfortable with my losses for the Orleans segment.

I did not like my luggage on the 201 from the Excalibur to the Orleans, but it was not that hard with just the one bus to negotiate.





I booked when the Excalibur resort fee was just $22 and my weekday nights were $22, so three nights were at $44 each. One weekend night was just that $22 resort fee. I paid $92 for the other, the most expensive single night of my stay. Staying at Excalibur enabled me to use MyVegas points for the Aria buffet. $24 in value and get $50 MyVegas in freeplay at Excalibur. So those advantages offset the higher room rates.



I'll continue to think of Excalibur as part of the loop of places I stay on my long trips.

No comments: