Sunday, October 11, 2015

TR SNIPPET SHOWGIRLS, THE MUSICAL




Staying at the B and B gave me great bus location for the Onyx Theater and “Showgirls the Musical” was playing. I did not really follow the “Showgirls” movie from 1995 that got panned by the critics, and this is a parody of that movie, so I am sure I missed a great deal of the humor, but there was so much of it that it was a grand time. I liked it better than Fantasy at the Luxor.
Although it is community theater, the actors were all great as far as I was concerned. I understand some of the are Vegas showgirls, and the lead was absolutely beautiful and sexy.
It was a very raunchy show. The comic here is an obese woman dressed as a showgirl who makes really crude jokes. I liked it. All were jokes making fun of such jokes.
I won't repeat them here.
This theater is a bit strange. It is on Sahara just West of Maryland, but there is no door on Sahara. The door is around the back and a good long walk on streets I did not want to walk. I arranged to be let out the Sahara emergency door at the end of the concert. For those coming in cars, the back entrance makes sense as that is where the parking lot is.
It is a very small theater. It seats about 60 which they can expand to 90 if they need to. It was well attended, but I was able by coming early to be the first in and to actually change my seat three times to get a spot where I would have the best view. Heads get in the way of this old style theater. The seats actually can recline a bit.
There is also a small venue with couches and comfortable chairs for small performances. That was quite an unusual room.
Prices were $25 for the first row (sold out) of less than a dozen and $20 everywhere else. Gold star had them for $10 and I suppose a service charge. I decided last minute. They sold cheap popcorn, dollar drinks and coffee and other snacks at a movie like counter.
Folks were friendly and many were part of the larger acting community. One high school boy was dressed as a pirate because if you showed up at a doughnut place today dressed like a pirate, you got a free dozen doughnuts and he and his techy girlfriend were going after the show.
Next to me sat a very pretty blond. That was nice as well.
I had a great time. I'll go again if I am in town and out this way. It would be easy too to go from the Palace Station.

No comments: