Friday, October 02, 2015

TR SNIPPET LAST NIGHT CLAUDINE CASTRO


I went up to Eastside Cannery on the BHX from downtown to see Claudine Castro. I got there early enough to secured a small table right in front, the best seat in the house. By the end of the night, as generally happens, that table was connected to another with five friendly Latinos and although the conversation was limited, we managed to say “Salud” and click glasses.

I drank three beers.

One fellow was dressed in a dark hat and very white dress shirt. He had a great look.

This is unusual because I have avoided beer since the diabetes. Modelo seemed to fit the night. Since they did not have the Negra I had the Especial on tap.  It was very good.

Since I had seen her last, Claudine had trimmed down quite a bit and looked very appealing. She had many new songs to sing, especially in the first set. She dropped the “Hotel California” so all the songs were in Spanish. She retained the groups dance about coming from Havana to Miami.



I am not really up for dancing. My feet are blistered. I don't meet anyone to dance with although Seigfried would have probably hooked me up with a partner had I asked.

I met Seigfried in the Men's room on a break. He opened conversation with whether I had won that day or not and we were soon chatting away, in English. He is just my age, turning 69 this month, and he lost his wife three months ago. However, he is not giving himself over to grief, but out looking for a “lady” preferably one with a good degree and a sense of world travel.

Seigfried was educated in philosophy, best liking the existentialists. He liked Neitche, Satra. With his wife he ran a private school in Europe for a while where his wife taught English, French, and Spanish. He lived in France, Spain, and Italy, best liking Italy. However, he is happy to be here for the comfort of the US and he loved Vegas. He thought he might like retiring in the Carribean, but it was too primitive. He just got back. He told me there were 8 million ladies in our age group looking for love. “Are you going to date all of them?” I joked.

There were some very attractive women dancing. I remember in particular one tall, long legged woman who was perhaps Cuban. Also, there was a couple dancing right in front of me in slow and sultry movements with plenty of body contact. There dance was really making love, his face in her dyed red hair. Cuban motion is just so sexy. I will see this girl in my daydreams for a while.

And old women are grand to watch. They know still how to move. Their bodies somehow stay very young to the beat and the sound.

They have signs that there is now a two drink minimum, but I guess that is for the night. I bought a beer and water, but they came around often to ask if I wanted more. Then each set I had a beer. It was nice to be going home on the BHX because it runs from right in front of the Eastside Cannery for 24 hours. I usually only catch two sets and take the 202 back to The Gold Coast, but I liked being downtown. The BHX can be a bit seedy, but it also generally has security guards and since the conversion from SDX like buses, the driver is available should any difficulty arise.



My Spanish is very basic. I did not really get much of the songs. I should. The words are repeated usually over and over. I wrote down bits and pieces, but there are so many similar songs that I can't really find the ones I heard. I wish she had a CD.

Si tu te vas

te vas, te vas” was one I understood, but searching it produced too many songs about leaving.

It was a grand last night in Vegas.










No comments: