Sunday, November 23, 2014

TR SNIPPET - POOLS AND SWIMMING

GOLD COAST

The pool here is heated and there is a nice jacuzzi as well. Getting out into November air with the dry Vegas wind taking the water away quickly is a bit unnerving, but for the long walk back to the elevator, I find some time in the jacuzzi does the trick.

There was a British fellow and his wife here both days, a friendly fellow, full of food humor and very engaging. We did not have a long conversation, just banter. I was too into spacing out as I breast stroked the pool for an hour, usually by myself.

The pool is for the most part out of the sunlight. Sun bathers sit on the lounge chairs on one side and if there are not too many , they can get good sun. I like not having to wear a hat and sunglasses.

There are not many bikinis. I saw just one on a cute blond. The pool is underattended. I like that because it gives me plenty of swimming room and I also suspect that there are less folks urinating in the water. Few, I think, would make the long, cold trek to the bathrooms as I do. Were the pool as full as the strip pools that would not be the case. So, I've traded bikinis for clean water. Is that a good trade?

ORLEANS

Swimming here at the Orleans is hit and miss at this time of the year. However, it was grand this first day and it let me stretch out all the muscles from sitting on the airplane and refreshed me. The water was plenty warm enough. I did not even feel chilled. However, I know some of that is bringing this Northern body that has somewhat adapted to much colder weather. The day before my swim I fished off the dock in a winter coat and scarf.



And the rest just the luck of warm days and sun in Vegas that arrival week. I went to the pool about noon the first day. The air was cold and it was windy. Out of the pool and out of the sun made a short uncomfortable walk to the jacuzzi.

The jacuzzi was just fine as always except they have taken out all the decorative rocks and put in an island that is practical for sun bathing, but not as nearly aesthetically pleasing. I missed the old rocks. It made it all look a bit sterile.

On my last day I felt pretty good so I took a fine hour swim and hot tub soak, my last for a while now because I can't do that outdoors in upstate New York.

It was November 14th and the pool was well heated and comfortable. I guess I will be giving more attention to the Gold Coast followed with the Orleans on future trips.



I got to the pool before it opened at nine. I sat for a while, but I rolled in at 3AM and I was pretty tired. Down the right side the pool, where the bathroooms are located, were lounge chairs that were outside the locked gates. These were very comfortable for waiting. There was a huge exhaust fan for I could not hear the birds. Otherwise it was great.



And the life guard was there on time. No delays. Gates were unlocked and I could get a good swim in and still have time for a nice free meal before checking out.



If you like the pool, ask for a room on that side. Mine was facing the pool, 448, and that gave me a pleasant view. But most important to me is a quick ride in the elevator when I come back wet, both for my own comfort and for the comfort of the other riders.

PLANET HOLLYWOOD

I liked the Planet Hollywood pool although the music was not m first choice. It was heated and gave me a fine swim in the morning.

There was an odor of grilled beef always in the air and it was no coming from the grill near the pool, but from some vents over the pool.

The walkway to the bathroom was a bit dirty and some of that was bird droppings which I really don't like on bare feet.

It was not crowded in the water. In the afternoon sun there were rows and rows of folks getting tanned. Some were pretty cute.

LAZY RIVERS



MyVegas rooms at Monte Carlo and Mandalay Bay gave me a chance to try the lazy rivers. I was surprised to find both of them heated and very comfortable. I was never cold in the water.

They are designed as relaxing floats in a comfortable tube. I would have like that. I did it at a water park in upstate New York. However, I found them wonderful for exercise when I did them with no tube. I traveled faster and used muscles I don't use in just breast stroking in a regular pool. The current winding me along also was more entertaining.

Monte Carlo opened at 9; Mandalay Bay opened at 8. At these times I almost had the rivers to myself and that was really a treat. I did not have to negotiate around the tubes that generally moved more slowly, but just was pushed along. It was great morning exercise, mostly of the arms and back, but something of the legs as well and it offered something to do in the early morning.

Mandalay Bay had two water falls in a row which needed to be negotiated. I went under them to feel the effect, but I did not want to do that everytime. Monte Carlo did not, but seemed not quite as deep as the Mandalay Bay and so I had to be careful to swim so as not to drag my feet.

Bathrooms were in both places, but the Monte Carlo bathroom was much closer. This mattered because I would feel cold when I hit the morning air wet. The dry Vegas air cools us quickly. Even in hot weather it can feel cold. So having the bathroom closer was helpful.

Neat the bathroom at Monte Carlo were large water dispensers, plastic squares of melting ice, and small pointed paper cups. On the one afternoon I swam these included lemon and lime flavorings.

The afternoon time was different too in what could be seen. People lined the river in chairs or with their feet in the water, and they were entertaining quick images, sometimes of pretty bikinis.

Beer in bottle shaped aluminum could be purchased and carried when tubing but both hands would be constantly needed when going around without a tube.

In upstate New York the experience meant being with children because that was the draw of the water park. There were only a few here in Vegas. Many of them loved swimming the river.

After the rivers I generally spent a bit of time in the hot water of the jacuzzis where I could relax and water massage the muscles that had just been given a workout. Both had strong water jets. The heat of the water also took the edge off walking in the air.

What I found most helpful was to towel off my upper body quickly and then put on a rather heavy sweatshirt, one made of material that was as heavy as a towel. This kept me warmer for the walk back to the hotel.

Both pools were close to the MyVegas rooms.

For a heavy fellow like me the water made for very fine exercise. This helps keep my sugar in line as well. I am not one for the bikes and treadmills. I get bored on them. But I love water and this never bored me. Overweight people have trouble exercising easily, but the water takes the weight off the experience. I like breast stroke through pools for long periods of time. These rivers were much better entertainment.

All my MyVegas rooms were one nighters, so the early morning river was soon followed with a long walk rolling luggage, more good exercise with more work given to the legs. I thought that I'd be rather annoyed with the one night stands, but they were fine. I would not like them when first arriving in Vegas. I had two days at the Orleans to get over jet lag. I followed them this time with two free nights at Planet Hollywood and that was good because I just tired out on my sixth day in Vegas and did a good bit of sleeping and watching television for the first day.

THE D


 

This outside and unheated pool must be fine in the hot summer when the sun heats it up. My son Frank and I went into it in October, and I have to say it is the coldest water I have been in for many decades. It reminded me of a mountain stream. It was very funny to us.

No comments: