Sunday, November 23, 2014

TR SNIPPET - DANCING AT THE ORLEANS


At the Orleans, at my free breakfast, my first full day in Vegas I was in line and three women from Calgary and Alberta were just behind me. Their talk was so perky and funny, I listened in and made some comment. They were so open and friendly that by the time we made the buffet, they had invited me to eat with them.

It was a delightful time. They were all full of stories and jokes and delighted with their Vegas adventures. I suggested the Nite Kings in the lounge for a good free show and sat with them there later as well.

Val (aka Kenna) had been a librarian and a dietician. She had an every pleasant natural smile and a twinkle in my eye.

Joyce engaged me the most, talking of the old music, of astrology and Chinese birth animals.

I've lost the name of the third woman other than her nickname of Nimsey.

I so enjoy meeting strangers. These were especially delightful with an accented English I rarely hear and stories of games like Lawn Bowling, similar to curling only on the lawn with a smaller ball. Val had been on a champion team.

They were slow to dance and that seemed odd to me at first because they were enjoying the music. Nimsey was bouncing out of her seat. I suppose they wanted some clear conservative boundaries with me, but after a bit they could see I could respect what they wanted, and we danced many of the faster bits. This was a treat for me because I so often end up in a mix of coupled locals and watching rather than dancing.

They were very open too about personal family information which I won't include.

These women were just a few years younger than I am, but in spirit and activity they were 20 years younger and full of more fun than I usually find in my peers. They were also more refreshingly open and easy without much reserve and good humored without sarcasm. They enjoyed life and they especially enjoyed this party time in Vegas. It was a perfect meetup; the Nite King's music was all from our youth.

In fact, listening to these women I was reminded of meeting up with girls in my college years. It was not unlike those sorts of times with intense conversation, jokes, energy for moving and delight in shared new perspective.

A very memorable Vegas adventure.


No comments: