Sunday, November 23, 2014

TR SNIPPET - THE D


 
Vegas pigeon
 
Wild Bill and I had planned a trip to the Palace Station for lunch when I realized that I was moving from the Four Queens to the D.

So, I tried to get the D room early, at 8:30.

And the girl looked to see if there was a room and felt bad she could not help me. There was not lecture about the time. There was no hint of an early check in fee.

She asked me to come back in an hour or so.

So I went and packed up, figuring to either get a room or leave my bags.

To move from the Four Queens to the D if I have the D room before noon is much easier than packing for a real move. I just make a few trips and don't have to worry about fitting everything in an overstuffed suitcase.



It was good I packed. They could upgrade me for $10 a night, but the regular rooms had yet to be cleaned. They did check me in to a nice room on the 19th floor with a great view away from the Fremont experience because I asked for as much quiet as they might give me. And that did work because as I type I can hear a band below, but it is not loud.

I could fall asleep.

I checked my bag and retrieved it just before 11PM. 

The bellman was off taking three carts of luggage up to some rooms and so there was a few minute delay. It seemed odd to have that much luggage to manage at 11 PM. He apologized. It did not bother me much, but I was getting tired.

The room is very smart. It must have been remodeled recently. I love the art at the D.

Everything is clean and in good shape. The lamp near the bed has extra plugs in the base for my sleep apnea machine. The plug by the end of a combination TV stand, dresser, and computer station is serviced with a strip.

There is no coffee maker at all now, but I bring my own little Quick Cafe II



On the second morning the lights went out in the bathroom so I did my laundry in semi darkness. When everything was hung to dry, I called and reported the problem and the maintenance came very quickly. A few minutes later the front desk called to confirm it had been fixed. Good system.



It was very comfortable and quiet here last night when I finally got to bed and I slept easily.



There is a new elevator system. We punch the numbers on the outside of the wall, so when the elevator arrives, we are already in the journey. A workman was there helping people. As I left the Four Queens, where there had been some long elevator delays, a fellow was just livid with the front desk, saying his wife had waited for 15 minutes. So, I'm thinking the D now rules in elevators compared with previous trips. If the elevator is going to be faster, I will be more apt to take a high number room to keep it quieter and give me a bit of a view.
 
 

No comments: