Saturday, May 21, 2011

TR Snippet - Overview of expenses


Yes, it was a losing trip.
However, for those of you who travel, here is what a losing trip to Vegas costs.
And for those of you who come back from Vegas and see the eyes roll when you tell friends that you lost $1516, here is the mathematics to put that losing number in perspective.
I like to get folks to give me the amount spent on their last vacation adventure and compare costs.
I did not add in tips, nor did I include the value of free alcohol which easily exceeds value of any tips, especially since free drinks means I tried B-52, Caesar's spicy bloody Mary (tequilla) and enjoyed plenty of Courvasier and never had a morning coffee at the poker table without Sambuca.
Some trip I need to just count the number of free drinks in one trip. I think it would exceed the number of drinks I drink in a year at home.
However, this math gives a pretty good sense of expenses and value.



ROOMS-
Total cash paid for rooms was $146 (minus $32 back from the El Cortez unusual freeplay room deal.)
15 nights computes to
$7.60 a night for rooms.
$10 a day average over 16 days for food
Lost $1516 or an average of $94.75 a day over 16 days gambled away
$5.66 a day over 16 days for transportation and entertainment (including a rental car day trip and hike to Red Rock Canyon.)



So, (not counting any tips,) the trip cost me
$117.66 a day.


*******************************************************
BELOW ARE THE DETAILS OF THE COMPUTATION:
I did not count air as I had two free legs from SW although I ended up spending money to fly other places on the way.


ROOMS
Orleans - 2 nights free - with $10 food comp



Eastside Cannery-1 night free



Sam's Town 6 nights for a total of $146
Note here that because I booked on the B Connected site, even at these ridiculously low rates, I was not charged the resort fee. Since for my weeknights the fee would have increased my room costs by 50%, this was a great value.



Rio was 2 nights free



Four Queens was 2 nights free with $20 freeplay which I computed in my gambling scores.



El Cortez Cabana is complicated. There I got the deal of renting two Cabana suites for $120 which got me $50 in food and $70 in freeplay. I decided the food would be added in my stats as a food expense and I would adjust the cost of the room based on the result of the free play, since teh freeplay was tied to the room promo rather than a reward for past gambling.
On $70 El Cortez freeplay, I cashed out $102 or $32 in profit.
Freeplay could not be used in the best poker machines, so I wanted to limit my exposure to poor pay tables and only ran the money through once.
So the El Cortez rooms compute as free, and the extra $32 I subtracted from my room expense rather than included as gambling winnings.
**********************************************
TRANSPORTATION AND ENTERTAINMENT
Bus day 1 - Airport to Orleans/Orleans to MGM and back- $2
Bus day 2 - Orleans to Flamingo and Flamingo to Cannery East - $1
Bus day 3 - Bus back from Flamingo/then to Terribles/ then to airport $2
Bus Day 4 - Eastside Cannery to El Cortez and back - $2
Trip to Redrock -
Car with CDW- $50.59
entrance $7
gas $10
bus back from airport $1
Total is $75.59
Two Comedy shows at Four Queens $15



$90.59 / 16 = $5.66 a day
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow- I don't know how you do it and still manage to get free rooms each trip! This is a great report. thanks Dewey. Peath13 - LV4E

Dewey said...

Thanks Peath,

I did have your meetup on my list, but I just was too tired this trip to go much.
What I really did this time was hit a mistake on the B Connected site that offered $9.99 rooms for just one afternoon and I expect it was a computer error as the offer was right up until the end of December.
They honored it when I booked. I think Westie booked as well. They the next day they were gone.
And the coolest thing for me was to see the resort fees not be charged.
Hope your trip went well. I'll have to search out your TR