Wednesday, May 04, 2011

TR snippet live from Java Vegas at the Orleans


I am sitting in the newly named coffee place at the Orleans with a large brew sprinkled with some cinnamon. Java Vegas is the name now, not Seattle which makes sense to me. This is afterall Vegas, not Washington State. The wifi is the same. Seems to work well. My computer is very slow so I can't judge.

This will be my last wifi for a while, so I probably won't post any TR snippets or respond to this one until next month, but while these three days are fresh in my mind, I thought I'd run down a bit of the details as some of it might be of interest.

BUS

Finally, I tried my first WAX ride, so I have personal experience. It was just the short journey from the airport to the strip, but here is what I found.

SCHEDULE: This is a weekday, so at my time of arrival at the airport buses were much closer together than the weekend on the hour schedule. I caught the 3:32 WAX, hit the Koval stop in ten minutes, waited in a red light and was at the NYNY stop at 3:46. Sweet! I did have a bit of a wait for the 201. I think it is coordinated with strip buses because just before mine came, a few people came from that direction. I was at the Orleans at 4:15, making it a 45 minute.
BUS PASS: I paid the $2 senior price for a 24 hour pass. I asked the driver if the pass was good for the Deuce and SDX and he assured me that it was. You youngsters would play $5 for this pass. I used it that night again to go to MGM and back for poker.
COMFORTS: There were three people on the WAX and I was the only one with luggage. One step up and the two long rows of seats with backs to window so plenty of room to sit with luggage. I carry my sleep machine ($1100 to replace) and my computer. I like handling these things myself. After the airplane ride, I put them in the large suitcase I bring for ease in travel. Had I taken the shuttle directly to the Orleans with these things and put them in the suitcase I'd have had to worry about the fellow banging them around. Generally, the Orleans is the last shuttle stop so they might get moved, taken out and put in, etc while others debark.
There were 12 people on the 201 and none with luggage. It dropped me off right at the Orleans parking lot.
I did have to wait ten minutes at ground zero and longer at NYNY. So in August, this might be uncomfortable. In April it was delicious to sit outside with just a light extra shirt after weeks of bitter cold and rain in Upstate NY, then again in Chicago, and cold in Denver. I was tempted to catch one of the four 108/109 buses that passed ground zero, but I wanted the WAX.
I am just more comfortable waiting with all this luggage at a bus stop right near the strip rather than out far East on Tropicana. Security on bikes patrolled right next to this stop.
I enjoyed studying the shapes of the Excalibur as I waited then and again at 3am when all the lights were on. This was a longer wait after playing poker, but still delightful.
It was nice for a frugal guy like me to get all this transportation for $2.
NOTES:
Drivers were courteous, helpful and easy. Gone are the days I guess when a bus driver was expected to be surly. Stops were announced on the bus. The Orleans stop is just beyond Arville, so listen for the announcement of that stop and hit the button to request exiting.
There was Koval stop. It would be a place to catch the 119. So we could stay at the Wynn and city bus it all the way. Probably other places as well. Super 8 at Ellis is one place, but it would be duplication as they have a free airport shuttle to and from for guests.
Today I'll check out of the Orleans and walk Arville to Flamingo. There is an Arville bus, but generally I like the walk. Then for $1 I'll take myself on the 202 Flamingo bus for a night at the Eastside Cannery and then 5 at Sam's Town.

FOOD ON THE FRUGAL

When I leave the Orleans it will have cost me (not counting tip) totally $4 in cash and $5 in points for one supper buffet, one lunch buffet, and one graveyard steak and eggs. With the free rooms came $10 in free food. Senior day included 50% coupon and then for some unkown reason they gave us two $5 coupons for the next two days good in any restaurant.
My other "meals" were alcohol or trail mix or figs in the room.
Oh, then this coffee was $2 and change.  You know it is a frugal trip when a $2 increases three day food expenditures by 50%.

GAMBLING

Well, that has not gone well. I played 8 hours of poker at the MGM and left down $80. Three times I lost with pocket Aces. Twice the flop included two kings.
There were some fine characters and friendly folks, many from Alberta, Canada.  One very big local Mexican with a bushy beard talked and laughed and was very entertaining.  However, I tired soon that first night and could not get into as much of the banter as I generally do.  It was a soft game, but neither Wild Bill nor I got cards.
The poker at Excalibur was one no  limit and one 2-6 spread limit with every player male and looking serious.  We skipped it.  The poker at the new room at Tropicana was just the brush and one dealer talking to each other. 
I did not play this trip at the Orleans.
I put $40 in the Megabucks. One cherry.
I dropped $220 in the triple play nickle progressive, playing a 9/7 Double Bonus for most of the day. I quit when two of the Progressive lines (all were above $300) hit within minutes. I guess I ran about 3K thru chasing those royals. No luck. However, it will probably generate some room offers for my next trip.
I notices a quarter progressive right near the check in and this coffee spot.  Another 9/7 but the best that Orleans has to offer.  I still see Double Bonus that is 9/6 here which says too things.  First, the Orleans figures it can easily trick customers, and second.....well, clearly they can.  Why anyone would play 9/6 Double Bonus when 9/6 Double Double Bonus is right there along side I can't figure.  It is sad to think about, until I remember that someone has to pay the light bill.
I was coaching Bill on strategy and another player asked about the rare times when a high pair is not the best choice against four to the flush.  It was a good observation.  But that is as far as it went. He was a local who played everyday, but he had not figured out strategy changes for high progressive play nor did he know the power of the 9 in this game to change choices.  He said he did not want to play a game perfectly, but just to relax, and that is fine but why he brought up the fine point was a puzzle.  I have mapped out one time for strategy change on the 10/7 Progressive at the Four Queens but I stayed with regular strategy here as I don't really know what changes should be made and at what points.  
Wild Bill met me and he hit the free senior drawing for $250 in freeplay of which he took $230 in profit when he quit.

ALCOHOL
Here at the Orleans my coffee came with real Sambucca and Courvasier was possible as cognac. At MGM in the poker room I had Guiness but they don't make virgin frozen drinks.  Orange juice with no ice was in a good sized glass.  At Excalibur sitting with Bill at the Sports Book I ordered a coffee with Sambuccca, but they only offered a cheaper imitation.  The waitress told me she got it put in anyway.  Hopefully Sam's Town is still serving good alcohol. I gave up playing poker at Caesar's because they went to rum that was more like car chrome polish than my Myer's .

ENTERTAINMENT

The pool was a bit icy and I have been spoiled by the Florida heated pool and others in hotels since. But I swam once and may again today. The jacuzzi, a large circle with decorative rocks in the middle was delightful and I enjoyed watching some of the birds that frequent the palms in the pool area.
Wild Bill and I took our $4 senior special and watched a movie Source Code that played with old time travel plots in a new way.

Well, that is about it. I did not use my ACG Orleans matchplay and I won't today as I don't want to show any gambling today. They limit these now to one a year so I'll use it next trip.

Okay. Off to the jacuzzi and then to Boulder for a different sort of adventue.

No comments: