Wednesday, May 05, 2010

TR Snippet review of Ellis Island and Super 8

This may repeat some of the information in other snippets, but I liked the way it flowed on a reply on one thead so I'll use it again.
****************************************************************************

The price of the steak special has nothing to do with the quality. It is a come on to get people in the place. And it works. During normal eating hours the cafe draws a good crowd and you may be asked to take a number. So they get the gambling started during the the waiting time.

A microbrew or a root beer comes with the meal now. I was amazed at the size of the beer they brought. For my taste a red wine goes better and I have used the 4 free drink coupon in the ACG to get the drinks and then carry what was left into the restaurant. No one cares. But if you like beer, this is value.

All that being said something put me off my steak special this last trip so I understood the mixed reviews of this meal. However, it may just have been me. I generally get the special in the early hours of the morning to avoid the lines, and this was a graveyard meal after a losing session. I expected it to cheer me and it did not. The steak seemed just a tad dry. The green beans were tough.

I went back on an ACG coupon a couple days later and used it for the prime rib (no coupons can be used on the steak special) and had a fine meal. The garlic green beans were tough the day of the steak special, but fine the day of the prime rib. Over the years I must have eaten a couple dozen steak specials and never been disappointed before.

Both potatoes were good. I had a baked with the special and mashed with the prime rib. The portion was huge.

All that being said the place won't compare with actual gourmet big buck cuts of beef. It will fare just fine in comparison with Outback. I don't do the expensive steak house experience in Vegas. I ate on $8.39 cents a day (plus tips) this trip including room snacks. One fancy steak meal would double my frugal food budget.

I'll be eating there more often on my next trip because I tried out the Super 8 next door and was very pleased. Small rooms, but I am solo and the amenities were fantastic. I have sleeping issues so good TV really helps. I like Turner Classic Movies and they have it and twice as many other stations as well, including three HBO. There is free wifi in the room. I used it. I used it in the guest laundry room too where I did my laundry at 3AM when I could not sleep and was on line all the while the clothes washed and tumbled. That was the easiest laundry time I ever had in Vegas. I put the place in the middle of a 16 day trip. Coffee makers in the room brew hot water for the teabag I bring from home and put in the ceramic cup I also bring.
I did not try the pool. It was small and basic.

I did not use the free transportation to/from the airport either but I saw the vans and plenty of folks did use them. There was a group of musicians and all the instruments were in the van.

There were also pilots and stewardesses in between flights.

The Iceland ashes hit and one group of German tourists could not go home. In spite of being very full, the Super 8 extended their stay at the $40 rate they had negotiated.
Parking was easy.
The folks at the desk could not be nicer.
I have great fear of bed bugs ( which can be anywhere) and I explained this as I checked in. They listened sympathetically and assigned me a great room 3045. Inspection showed no activity, current or prior. (Flamingo moved me twice before I passed on the room there. Blood lines in the couch.)
In the lobby was a small machine that dispensed cups of fancy coffee and hot cocoa. This was a nice cup to take out in the morning as I walked to the strip.
They said next trip they would negotiate 7 nights with one free so that the average cost would be around $40.
I caught a good weekend rate on Priceline, but cancellation was without any refund. I called and for a few dollars more caught a AARP rate that allowed normal cancellation without penalty.
I expect I'll start my next trip there once I save up another bankroll and get over being beaten to death at the poker tables this trip.

4 comments:

K.B. said...

Hi Dewey,

A question about the Super 8. What is the car parking like for anyone staying there. I realise you would not use it but did you see what the parking is like?

Thanks

K.B.

Dewey said...

I think there was generally plenty of room. I suppose it would depend on the luck of the guests, but with the free transportation from the airport, I suspect they attract guests without cars. Ellis Island was right next door so you would have that area to park in as well.
If you are traveling to Vegas last minute on a weekday by car, grab some of those traveler's coupons and use them for a discount deal. However, the weekend I stayed I watched people turned away because they said they were fully booked.

K.B. said...

Hi Dewey,

Thanks for the info. I will more than likey try it out on my trip in September,

Dewey said...

I am there right now. One thing I discovered this trip is that the pool is open 24 hours except for a morning cleaning around 5am. I swam today and it since is heated during cooler months, it was just fine. There is also a small basic jacuzzi.
I'll know a bit more about the feel of parking as my wife comes in on Saturday ( a busy day) with a car.