Monday, May 03, 2010

TR Snippet - the food

I knew food was going to be a struggle for me this trip.  I had decided to lose some weight before I went and ended up loosing 35 pounds.  Then I wanted to continue to keep it off, so I hoped not to indulge as I usually do the rich food at the buffets.  
I would treat myself with much more than I was having at home on this very strict diet, but I did not want to eat too much.
And that worked, but it made me nervous and the tension seemed to take the joy of uninhibited eating away from the trip.  
It also limited my free drinks.  I had a couple nights of Myer's Rum, but I also had long stretches when I did not drink.
So I came home weighing the same as I did when I left.
My expenses were great.  My average daily expense for food over the 16 days was $8.39.  That helps with the gambling losses.
Planet Hollywood Spice Market -  I used points for the Sunday brunch.  That was a mistake.  The food is the same as every other day but the price is double. Still I did enjoy the food there and ate two other times.  I know the value trick now.  Get in line so as to clear the register before 11 AM at the breakfast price and then just wait for the lunch offers.  I used destination coupons for $5 off when I paid for the buffet.
I especially liked the Middle East section.  The tandori chicken was wonderful as was the lamb.  I am going to make the stuffed tomatoes at home.  
The smoke salmon was good but no capers and no horseraddish.
Tempura shrimp was very crispy, but I better liked it when taking a bit of the large whole shrimp so as to get more taste than the crunch.
Orleans
The Orleans gave me $10 in free food.  I just charged to my room and it came off when I left.  I had a fine steak and eggs graveyard special and ate at the buffet.  I like the food there, especially for free.  I also treated myself to oyster stew at big Al's.  That is just so good.  I had a coupon for 10% off.
I ate at the buffet for breakfast, but wanted a salad and found that at 10:30 they served some salad.  There is two salad areas that are very small but they also offer different foods.
Venetian  
I overpaid at the Chinese Noodle place for a chicken/mushroom soup.  Small portion and a price equal to most buffets.  But it got me back to my poker game quickly.
Gold Coast
I like the Gold Coast buffet, especially the red eye gravy in the morning.  This time I also found the chorizo and eggs just a wonderful taste.  I was only disappointed that crispy bacon was hard to find. 
Main Street Station
I ate two buffets on points and one discretionary buffet awarded at the Player's Club the day after I gambled a good bit away at VP.  The kalua pork was a disappointment.  I always mix it with the collard greens and top it with Chinese noodles, but it was too bland.  Too bad.  The stroganoff was good as were many of the other choices.  I love eating there. My server Carol advised me again not to order the cranberry as it is just 10% juice, but to order the orange juice instead. I laughed because she told me the same thing last visit.  She was a great server.  The iced cream topping have new dispensers so that the butterfinger crumbles come out with just a twist.  Very nice.
I had trouble again ordering two eggs over easy and wanting toppings.  They always want to do an omelet or mix the egg up.  I want a runny yoke.  Finally, the joking chef sauteed mushroom and onion and gave that to me on the side of the eggs.  
Ellis Island
I was disappointed with my steak special, but it may have been me more than the steak.  The beans were very tough.  A couple nights later I used my 50% off coupon for prime rib and enjoyed that.  They severed plenty of aujus which makes the meal for me.  The mashed potatoes came in a huge portion.  I rarely eat white potato so that was a treat as well.

Terrible's 

I had a free breakfast on points. I was treated very well in the cafe and the cheap breakfast was very good, pancakes, eggs and crispy bacon for a bit over $2 in points.  I did not get a chance at the Tequilla chicken I always like.

Eastside Cannery

I used the 50% off ACG coupon and enjoyed the buffet. 

Subway

I love the $5 tuna sandwich on a picnic and bought one to eat at Red Rock as I was traveling the Blue Diamond Highway.  It was perfect on a picnic table with all those wonderful rocks looking on. 
That same day in Target I got a half case of water for a bit over $2 and plenty of good inexpensive snacks for the room. I got a good bit of value with a one day car rental.

Salvadoran Restaurant 
 The food was not as good as I remember and the prices were higher, but there was plenty of drama.  My waitress burst into tears over something one of the regulars did or said ( I lost the Spanish) and another of the regulars went in search of the culprits who then aplogized and everyone was happy in the end.

El Cortez Cafe

It was a mistake to eliminate the fine diner counter they once had at Careless Kitty's.  There are still just as many solo diners, but now there are lines and a few solos get a seat in a section with a bench on one side and a chair on the other.
The food was good.  I ate the king cut prime rib one night on a poker comp so it cost $6.  Board buddy Matt bought me a dinner of steak and shrimp another afternoon and that was very good.

Krispy Kreme
Well, I did eat a doughnut and have some coffee in order to use the free wifi.  Amazing doughnut.  Good rich coffee.  No complaints.  Nice to sit out on Freemont in the early hours of the morning and be on line.


 

2 comments:

Matt said...

Just found your TR Blog - thanks for the mention!

-Matt

Dewey said...

Well, not much on this post. More in the El Cortez
http://vegasbirthdaybash.blogspot.com/2010/05/el-cortez-days.html