Thursday, June 21, 2012

TR Snippet Gold Spike


I stayed only one three night weekend at the Gold Spike this trip.  I enjoyed it more than the Four Queens or Imperial Palace or The D.  Except that it has nothing for me to play, it is ideal for my needs:  frugal, easy check in with no lines, well positioned for buses, wifi, nice small uncrowded pool, a quiet, comfortable room and Turner Classic Movies on the television. 

And it is close enough to the El Cortez that I can play live poker there easily.

While I am leaning more to being around the Flamingo, my favorite poker room in Vegas, I get good weekend offers from the Four Queens and will still probably want to split my stay between the strip and downtown.

My nephew came with me for part of the trip this time.  He has some sleep issues, but he liked the beds there. I am not very discriminating.

I avoided the tough prime rib this time, but still had a nice meal of blueberry pancakes at the Gold Spike counter. Those are served 24/7.

I like eating at the counter and watching the frantic waitresses who are more like NYC waitresses than waitresses in Vegas.  The old woman seems totally overwhelmed with the whole job.  The young blond seems a bit stressed by all of life and bothered that she has to work. Their favorite expression is, “Just a minute.” Which means a few minutes if they remember.  Only the Latino woman seems efficiently happy to be working.   It is amazing to see her balance a row of plates on an extended arm from her finger tips to her shoulder.

If I am in a hurry, I don't like this place.  But if I want a show with my meal, it is just grand.

I don't like getting ice for the room at the end of the bar rather than in a machine, but it is not a terrible task.  The buckets are oversized and that might be just fine for some.



The pool is a treat.  No whining nasal indecipherable lyrics from some radio station. Just the fine and easy sounds of three fountains and falling water.  It is never very crowded, although I did encounter a fellow one day swimming laps who could not swim without splashing me.  I suppose I might have said something, but I just went along and did my brief thing that day.  Towels may be slim in the early morning.  The pool opens at 8.  Bring a room towel. It closes late so there is plenty of time to swim.



I got exhausted one day at the Gold Spike and spent a good portion of it in bed sleeping and watching old movies on TCM.  Those were great, especially “Tobacco Row.”  I love the way the television is set in a rectangle section of the wall.  Someone understands good viewing.

I did have a bedbug issue with a bottom mattress pad that looked like it might have dead, fried bugs imbedded in it.  They changed my room.  I did not see any evidence of live bedbugs, but I am conservative and don't like taking chances.  There was no question and I was registering very early.


No comments: