Saturday, June 23, 2012

TR Snippet- Lola's Louisiana Restaurant

I read about this spot and decided to try it.  I arrived before they opened, but they let me sit inside in the air conditioning and wait.  I think it opened at eleven.
I knew I wanted to try the bronzed catfish.  I am mixed in my tastes for catfish, some I like, some I dislike.  However, I wanted to take a chance because the reviews were so good.
This was not only the best catfish I have eaten, but one of the best fish dishes of any sort.  The grits were whipped with gouda cheese and seemed more like mashed potatoes and the sauce had a few wonderfully delicate flavors.  I've tried this now at home, but I can't quite get it right.  I like grits anyway, but I'd like to get this really creamy texture.  I pass on most white potato because of the fast to sugar carbs, but this would give me the potato experience with the slow moving carbs in the grits.
I had a table, but I could have eaten at the comfortable bar. 
The service was friendly and focused on making me happy.  The music was Cajun and some other mixed in and played soft enough for conversation.
I listened to a fellow at the bar giving the entire history of Main Street Station from Bob Snow until the present.
For dessert I had a pecan pie with gan mariner whipped cream.  It was just fine.
This place is located not far from the World Market Center.  I had a car, but I am certain I can find it by bus as well.  The entrance was confusing, but once in the right road it brings us up to the level of the restaurant.  Parking was ample when I arrived, but almost as full as the restaurant when I left.
So, Lousiana Aligator Mudgriff Dan, why weren't you with me, old buddy,  instead of dead?  Damn.

No comments: