Sunday, November 20, 2011

TR Snippet - Buddy Hackett's Rat Pack Show

I may have just been too tired to fully enjoy this.
Or it may be that I did not like waiting at the Hilton because I just don't like the Hilton
I did not like listening to a couple of "businessmen" half drunk and holding their own serious meeting in the men's room.
I  did not like paying $3.85 for a large water and then not being able to take it into the show with me, and of course forgetting it when I left.
The Hilton is just not me.

Or the opening of the show may have glorified the mob just a bit too much for my stomach.  Okay, I watched the Soprano's, but do I want bullies and cold blooded killers in charge of anything?
No.

Or it may have been that I remember Joey Bishop. Sandy Hackett makes a much better
Brad Garret than he does Joey Bishop.  Bishop was small, like Frank.  Hackett looked stupid trying to move like Joey moved.  I have seen some other Joey's.  They were better.

Or it may be that although I know Frank was pretty moody, he was not so moody on stage, not as much as the guy who plays him and that guys looked more Polish than Italian.
Harry Connick Jr. would have made a better Frank.
Or it may be that I just don't like impersonations any more at all.
There is something very creepy about them.

The music was fine, but nothing moved me much.
The voices sounded something like the originals if I closed my eyes.
But the faces made it all seem pretty creepy.

The theater was not crowded.  We all had good seats.  I guess it is not a popular show.
Radio Deluxe gives me a better feel for that old music.
And I thought the quality of those era songs was better at the free Toast of the Town shows.

I know Sandy Hackett was there back in those Rat Pack Days and should be able to add an authentic flavor to the show.
But at Toast of the Town Jackie Wilson's boy produced the feel and energy of Jackie in a much more authentic way,  There I saw how it could be done and how I might be transported back into a musical time.

I was not transported in this one.

It was a good deal at $20 from Groupon.
The original black and white clips were good.
The rest was just okay.
http://www.tix4tonight.com/sandy-hackett-rat-pack-show.html

No comments: