Monday, November 21, 2011

Reflection on "Why not play more and quicker?"

I get more pleasure out of getting the most for my money. I liked coming home from Vegas and knowing I had seen more than a gamble. Watching the bull riders ride was wonderful. All the music was delightful. Meeting so many strangers was fine as well. And seeing 23 days of beautiful women everywhere.. well....
A limit poker table is one of the few places where an old man can stare right into the face of beautiful young girl and it is acceptable.
I like travel even with no gamble, and Vegas gives a good bit of travel pleasure and collects a delightfully Cosmopolitan mix of people as well, all in party mood.
It is the only place I have ever found so many small communities of happy people.
Also, with live low limit poker my major game, I have hope that playing won't always be stretching a bankroll across negative expectation play. I see the guys who live there and have their low limit game to the point where they play everyday, all year long, and end up ahead. That is my goal. This trip gives me hope. 
I am already doing that in the weekly game here at home. 
No limit poker gives the kind of dollar swings that attract some, but we pay for the thrill of the win/loss with a community that is generally a bunch of dead stones flavored with constant whinners and a few young folks who are either hidden in musical hoods or all bravado attitude. No one says much unless it is about "outs" or someone's poor play, or the latest poker celebrity news, or the sad fact that in a random universe the "river" often brings tragedy.
Since the low limit games are simpler, the players can be more fully human. Randomness can often be laughed at; the talk is richer and the people more natural and less fanatically focused on just one aspect of living.

And the advantage video poker play as well should statistically let me grind out a bit of profit if I am slow and careful, especially when freeplay and cash back are figured into the gamble.
I guess for me learning and developing a gaming discipline gives more pleasure than a brief burst of uninhibited pleasure.
Then I have the fun of the gaming without the tax of the vigorish. 
I like being a long term winner.

This trip the mathematics tells me I am doing well. I stayed about even for most of the trip without a VP royal and without any luck on high hand bonus awards. Had those hit, I'd have come home well ahead. One royal would have almost paid for my trip.
You have to also appreciate that I am retired with a great wife, so I am not motivated by a need to escape the stress of a job or marriage and the anxiety that go with that; the drive to go on tilt for a few days is unnecessary therapy. 
But we all do this differently.

No comments: