Tuesday, May 06, 2008

TRSnippet: Food

Most of my food on a Vegas trip is determined by what is free, so I don't have great restaurant reviews to share. But I will do the best I can.

One place I did plan as a treat was Pampas at Planet Hollywood.

I got a coupon at the half priced ticket store. I think the entire meal cost $13 plus tip. I chose the cheaper midday time. One thing surprised me. I had about a week to use the food voucher. I thought like the shows it would be good just for that day. The service fee was $3 and the coupon that gives you $2 off the service fee was not valid for food, just shows.
Finding Pampas was a real adventure in itself. I entered at the Planet Hollywood main entrance, and so I had a long walk thru the mall they call the Miracle Mile. I think that it is called that because it is a miracle if you can manage to get through it all and find your way. I went by the hallway to the restaurant and had to double back. I was pretty hungry by the time I arrived.
If you go looking for it, watch for this distinctive Buddha neon advertising lucky jeans. It is in that area.

I was by myself, so I was seated next to the bar in not the best of places. It was fine, but not what I would have chosen. I generally drink just water. All sodas and such were $3 so I saved by drinking water the amount that the ticket discounter charged for services.
I have been to only one other Brazil grilled place. That was in Chicago. There was more beef at the one. Here there was one cut of beef and then chicken, pork, ham, veggies, mushrooms. It was very good, but not quite good enough. The salads were all interesting, but for some reason they all tasted alike to me. They just included different foods. I did love the mushroom salad and found it went well with the beef. I also enjoyed a corn fish salad and a caper salad.
I did not have deserts. They looked good and went for about $8.
All in all I liked the meal, but to treat myself next trip, I'll just take the same money (and less tip) to the PH buffet which I like very much.

MAMACITA'S

I ate with my wife and one son in this fine little Mexican/Cuban place across Freemont from El Cortez. A young man came in and explained he was very hungry and could he finish my chips and salsa. I ended up giving him the chips and what was left of my seven seas soup, but I did not really enjoy the experience. I have eaten there many other times and not had anything like that happen. It made me uncomfortable.

POTATO CHIPS

I had some fine homemade potato chips at McMullan's behind the Orleans and again at the Vue bar at the Fitzgeralds. Actually, this trip I liked the Fitz chips better.
Still, McMullans atmosphere is so wonderful!

I sat a the bar drinking in the Irish feel of the place with every sip of my Smithwick's. Both the ale and the chips were on a happy hour special. I love the rich wood of the place and the interesting signs and wall decorations. Fine Irish ballads played through a music system that made every word clear and the entire experience delightful. Down the bar a bit was a pretty blond woman with curly hair and I did enjoy watching her. Still I could not help thinking that it would be more perfect were she a woman with red hair and laughing at myself for wanting so much. Ten minutes later in came a young girl with flaming red hair who was showing off her new Martin guitar to her boyfriend.
I stopped and asked if she was going to play because if she was, I wanted to stay in the tavern and listen. She was pleased at the compliment, but explained she was just so excited to have this new guitar and wanted to show it off, and she took it out of the case again so I could see it.

I generally don't eat potato so these chips are a real treat once or twice a year. They work as supper when a buffet is lunch.

At Fitzgerald's I used the POV 2 for 1 appetizer coupon for two orders of chips ($2.50) and put in $20 to play an 8/5 Bonus progressive for the free beer. I did not hit the inflated royal ($1139) and after a while quit even. That was another great decadent supper!

At Binions I found out that because I did not know I had to go to the poker room for a separate slip for food comps at the Cafe I had ignored my build up over the years. I had $58 in comps. So I ate a few days there. I loved the $14 rib eye steak and the Binions Big Breakfast on graveyard.

Three times before the price doubled I had the 99 cent shrimp cocktail at Golden Gate.

We ate on coupons at the Orleans, Gold Coast, Fiesta Rancho, and Sunset Station buffets and they were all fine. I got a poker comp for the 777 Plaza buffet which is very small but fed me very well. There I loved this fish in cream sauce. I came in late at lunch time, and while I was there they changed up to other foods for supper. I missed seconds on the fish. I have found that even the buffets folks rail against have something that will make a tasty meal. Of course, I am not in Vegas for just three days. I am there for 15 days and were I to eat Bellagio buffet type meals every day I'd gain 30 pounds while losing my money.

EL CORTEZ

We enjoyed the oatmeal breakfasts at the El Cortez. They seemed very reasonable. Also I discovered the matzh ball soup and loved it. I think the food there is improving from past years. Ice cream sodas are still a great treat.

We also ate once at the breakfast buffet. It is just adequate but the service is excellent and it is quiet with plenty of space and time for a good talk. Sometimes that is all I really want for breakfast, coffee and conversation.


DRINK





I do love the free drinks in Vegas. But for a couple of reasons I tried to be more moderate this trip. I did get drunk once on about 8 Myer's rums at the El Cortez poker room. When I started drinking, I was down $100 and when I quit to stagger back to the room, I was up $20.
Many at the El Cortez claim that they cannot beat a drunk.

During that session a fellow from Wisconsin who fishes yellow perch and walleyes gave me some recipes and shared a few fishing stories.

I also enjoyed rusty nail or two, a lot of amaretto, some of it in coffee, Corona, a Black chip Porter earned by playing 9/6 JOB at Main Street Station, cognac.


Here are places where I did not eat or drink, but I liked the photos so I'll just include them as good visual experiences.




No comments: