Thursday, May 01, 2008

TR Snippet: Laughlin

I found a trip to Laughlin for $5 that included a free buffet.

http://www.lasvegasgrandcanyontour.com/bus/free-laughlin-tour.htm


then I almost missed it by waiting by mistake at the 4 Queens instead of the Golden Nugget.
It boarded at 7:30 AM and arrived back downtown at 6 PM.
On the same tour was Turtleman and Ms Gecko from the LV Talk Board, so the time loading other passengers went quickly as we got ourselves caught up on the latest. They both have lots of experience in Vegas and plenty to teach. He is the poster. I have read his material many times and he does share some fine information on comps, coupons, hotels, etc. This time he was the first to tell me that the Golden Gater 99 cent deal was up a dollar. He also said that if main Street Station was filled, they might put you at the California and he liked the rooms there better. I am not too happy with the Main Street Station rooms so I am going to try to get into the California next time I have comped rooms.

He has posted his comments about the day at Laughlin here:

http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35627&highlight=laughlin

Our narrator for the trip was Dean. He talked about John Wayne and the radioactivity he had been exposed to and how many had been affected with cancer due to the radioactivity. I thought I remember John Wayne attributing his cancer to his smoking, but perhaps some of it was exposure to government test sites. He marveled that the only living creature in the towns nuked was the cockroach.

He reminded us that the Thunderbirds are based at Nellis Air Force Base. I remember seeing them fly years ago.

He claimed that Las Vegas did not get water from Lake Mead or power from the Hoover Dam but that both went to California, and that there was enough water flowing under Las Vegas to keep it in water for many decades to come. I'll have to research this a bit as most of the things I read have claimed that Vegas was in real water trouble when Lake Mead dries up in just a few decades.

He gave us a history of the legalization of gambling and brothels and of the changes over the years. In 1956 brothels were made illegal in Clark County.

He told us that we had just missed by one day the biker rally in Laughlin. Non stop roar of motorcycles. Over 100,00 attend. I photographed these guys in Vegas a few days earlier who were probably bound for Laughlin.



I thoroughly enjoyed Dean' s quiet, easy talk. If we had wanted to sleep, his voice would have been a pleasant lull. I was more interested in what he might tell us

. Then he showed a Vegas focused video which was really too basic for anyone and not appropriate for a trip to Laughlin.
Still the trip went very quickly and we arrived at the Colorado Belle.




I played poker there all afternoon and did well enough. I liked the game, the people, the room, and even all the high hand and bad beat and busted aces promotions. When I left I was ahead $49 and they gave me some comps that I used for three cans of V8 juice to take back with me.

Contrary to reports I found the buffet just fine. I especially liked the trout. I can't quite remember all I ate, but I know I expected to make do with soup or salad and ended up getting all sorts of taste treats. The beef, however, was very tough and I would avoid that next time. The buffet was free with the $5 bus ride.

Also at the Colorado Belle I took a look a the Boiler Room Brew Pub.

The bartender was very friendly and told me that $10 played with at least 3 quarters wagered at a time would get me a free microbrew. It was time for the bus. I was too full of free drinks. But the 8/5 Bonus Poker would have been a fine way to try for a free beer.

I really did not get down to the river much.


I did get time to gather just a few images.







a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjVnb_7X3smT42E65fklK_h_QvTWOJhSxvUQ2Q1VndddvsE4H8QtLM6HpNqiDhCT-eH7Ko7irEbJEW7NgxcHgdDowWsW1AD0OraPOkQI9YLcnU4G3Wr2eI46UtZ8_BjHIduAOU7/s1600-h/laughlin+pigeop.jpg">





I loved this odd sign.



I saw no food for these koi. I had heard that feeding the regular carp in the river is no longer an option.

No comments: