Wednesday, April 21, 2021

TRIP REPORT SNIPPET FLYING

 

One of the reasons I have not been flying is that I am not comfortable for more than 3 hours. Flights from Albany to Vegas, which used to be nonstop and under five hours are gone. Six is the best time, and some are seven and eight. For a while I could get a nonstop to Denver, stay over and see my son, lovely daughter-in-law, and then head out to Vegas.

That non-stop is also gone.

Actually, I can fly to Tampa from Albany and rest a bit, and then fly non-stop to Denver or Vegas in a much more comfortable manner. And the total air time is less than flying Albany to Vegas.



My wife and I were going to Denver to see the new granddaughter. So, to add in a Vegas trip, added just one short flight. The plane from Denver to Las Vegas was easy. Quick. Basically, for the cost of one two hour ride I could add two weeks of vacation in Vegas.

I imagine we will visit the granddaughter again, and we can use the same pattern, adding in a Vegas trip for very little extra money.



It was a crowded plane going from Denver to Vegas. Few seats were left. In front of me two Black women were delightfully full of anticipated joy. 

 One turned around and asked me my name.

 Then she told me her name was Bunny. Appropriate for Easter Sunday. This was Bunny's Easter trip.



I can't believe how much I can get into the suitcase and still not be overweight.  I'm happy to have bought such a light suitcase.

There is no way to easily prepare for security. It is different each place. Slip on shoes are very helpful. Next year I won't need to take off my shoes. There were no belt issues.

I did get a pat down at each place. I never was sure why.

Inadvertently, I had left a can of NA beer in my carry on from when I took my Blackhawk trip on the bus. I must have missed it when I packed.

There are places in this backpack where things hide out just as those socks do in the dryer.

What a mess while they tried to find what was setting off the alarm.

I was very embarrassed.





ARRIVAL BACK IN TAMPA



It cost $23 plus tip to catch an Uber with just me as a passenger to the airport.

I arrived in back in Crystal River at about midnight Florida time, and Elizabeth greeted me with a homemade and delicious chicken soup accompanied with a few key lime seltzers.

The journey went very smoothly, but I am still very uncomfortable flying even these relatively short flights.

Other issues I worried about were no problem. This one just doesn't go away.


I shared a row of seats with two of the largest women on the plane, so we that were wedged into a sort of forced intimacy, so to speak

However, they also giggled and talked Spanish together for a good portion of the trip, so I was well entertained, although they did not know it until one shook my hand at that end and said, "Nice to meet you," and I answered "Mucho gusto"..

I only followed small bits of the conversation about their nail colorings and their reservations about some Americanos in Georgia, but their Spanish was very clear and I caught enough of it to be entertained.

They did not seem delighted to know that the old gringo on the aisle had been listening to more than they had expected.

"Hablo solo un poco," I said when they asked if I spoke Spanish. And that is perfectly true.

However, I don't know if they believed me.

Anyway, I am safe, seem healthy, and getting ready for Florida adventures and a summer of bluegills. (Well, today I am ready for sleeping, seltzer, and more sleeping.) I found I gained five pounds on my food fling, so I'll be eating more in the correct manner to get that gone.

Much of it was water weight that dissipated over the next two days.


Buddy Mike picked me up at the airport at ten thirty.

He loves to drive.

He does the pickup at Tampa with perfect timing. He has done it so many times.

Now, there is a pal. He loved my stories, and we had a good visit back to Meadowcrest.

Without him I would have stayed overnight somewhere as Elizabeth does not like driving after dark into Tampa.


He is a grand friend. He does so much for us.


No comments: