Sunday, November 23, 2014

TR SNIPPET - Second Night at Monte Carlo


My second MyVegas night at the Monte Carlo held too many choices. I wanted to play another 5 hours of poker to earn the freeroll on the following Saturday as well as build my comp dollars into something close to a free breakfast buffet on Sunday.

I also had three shows of interest all on Saturday night.

One was Naked Magicians with Tommy Wind, but I napped through that late afternoon time. Another was to use a 25% off coupon to see Dana Carvey at the Orleans. I decided not to bother with the bus or worry that the Orleans would require a player's card and the coupon would work to reduce my daily gambling average.

So I picked seeing Jimmy Buffet at the MGM although that did not work well with the poker. I was on my way to see if the half priced ticket booth had a deal when right outside the Monte Carlo was a Jimmy Buffet cloned band and they were very good.

So I saved myself the price of a ticket and managed a good music/poker compromise by just sitting there on the steps and listening to a couple sets. I don't have the bands name, but Rick the lead was very personable and relaxed in a Key West sort of way although he lives in California where he is also a boat captain.



Much of the music had that theme so popular in island music which promises happiness if we simplify and move away from the stresses that are bothersome.

I can feel that.



During the first set two young people danced an incredible swing. She was petite and he was wiry but in great shape. He wrapped he up and unrolled her in multiple turns. One time there were so many swirling turns that it drew applause from the crowd. It was all graceful and fun to watch, especially when he picked this tiny girl up and turned her head over heals, he log hair flowing behind.

I don't much like improvements and I as much as I could see that the redo of the front of Monte Carlo was very nice and allowed eating and drinking outside, part of me missed the old European look of the place. The columns are still there, but it is not the same.

However, this little theater formed by a small fountain and circular stone steps that become seats was brilliant. What a treat to hear all this fine music while watching the strip change from daylight to nighttime and seeing the parade of people whooping at a song or two.

To it with the Key West flavored music was perfect. It felt like a little Key West band had been plopped down in the the center of the Vegas strip. The air was delightful. What a treat!

And just about the time the stone seats were beginning to wear on me, I could head in to the poker room.



POKER



Once again I came when there was a 2-6 spread game going but no seat, with me first on the list. I thought I'd go up to my room for a paper and cap drop off. I made a coffee there and freshened up, but I was a few minutes. When I got back, the entire table had changed from old guy rocks to mostly women, but there was still no seat for me.

They took care of me, however.

Within a few minutes a fellow moved to NL and I had a seat. And it was ahead of one of the women who had come with the group because I had my name on the list.

Early on I won a pot of over $100 with just a pair of Aces. I played up and down with those winnings until I left, down $38 after 6 hours.

My worst loss was when the river 6 gave me the nut flush but my opponent quad sixes. I put him on something smaller and raised when he bet into me so it was expensive.

Again it was tough to keep the game going. I wanted the hours and I drank a bit of red wine so I did not want to have to get them by playing no limit.

We were down to three of us and I kept the game going by negotiating away the high hand award rake. They raked just a dollar with one blind of a dollar.

Of course the pots and action were small.

So I suggested we play Pineapple and the others agreed. People later came to the table and they were fine with Pineapple as well. It sure added a great amount of fun the poker, and I was more comfortable than most because I play it once a week with my local poker buddies.

The people were lots of fun. I talked one woman into playing who was just watching another who worked in the same field, helping people get out of debt. These were two Southern Black women, one from North Carolina, one from Greenville, South Carolina and they were just delightful. One was very pretty and fun to watch during play.

All in all it was some of my favorite poker.

Added to the fun was this one dealer who just delights me. His name is Daniel and he has very animated facial mannerisms, a very pleasant sense of ironic humor, and a smile and voice that liven up the game.

So I played about six hours. When the game broke, I was down $38 but qualified for the freeroll.



One thing to note is the 1-5 PM Aces Cracked. I think the payout is $50, but you only get paid on Cracked Aces if your opponent uses both hole cards to win the hand. Such a strange condition because during play you don't know for certain you will get the insurance on your Aces. I suppose this is a move to stop the players from limiting the pots by just hoping the Aces will be cracked.


Here are some photos of the great art in the poker room.





 

No comments: